Building Information Modelling (BIM) is a technological process that has been developed as an innovative, cutting-edge alternative for work systems in the construction industry. It is becoming increasingly more essential to the industry as an international working language with an approach based on process integration that opens up opportunities for new work environments and business activities.
The Master’s Degree Programme in International BIM Processes is designed to meet the training needs of construction industry professionals who wish to work abroad as well as within Spain.
The programme combines theory and practice and takes a highly participatory approach to learning. It aims to provide students with an in-depth knowledge of conceptual frameworks that will allow them to understand and analyse BIM, and become familiar with the most advanced practical applications of the process.
The Master’s Degree Programme in International BIM Processes aims to fully integrate all of the various disciplines and stages featured in the construction process, with different specializations available to suit the needs of different students.
- Gain expertise in BIM design software and tools.
- Gain expertise in tools and software for the monitoring, analysis and management of buildings.
- Gain expertise in the data-exchange processes for the various disciplines and stages involved in construction.
- Gain expertise in the processes of interoperability between different BIM software.
- Gain in-depth knowledge of the regulatory context and international standards.
- Participate in real-world internships with projects involving the implementation of BIM.
- Find out about employment opportunities and new business models related to BIM.
The Master’s Programme in International BIM Processes is tailored to candidates who have links to the construction industry (with or without professional experience) and are seeking specific training to develop their professional careers, looking for new employment or business opportunities, or seeking to update and expand their areas of knowledge.
The master’s degree comprises two postgraduate programmes: BIM-Ready and BIM-Technician.
Students will be required to produce a final project, which must be related to BIM and based on real-world case studies. The projects will be presented to a panel made up of members of the master’s programme teaching staff.
Students may also participate in internships at companies within or outside Spain.
Programme and Subjects
BIM-Ready Postgraduate Programme (20 ECTS credits)
- Theory and History of BIM
- Regulations and Standards
- Information and the Product Life Cycle
- Lifecycle Information
- Data Management
- BIM Content I
- BIM Design Software: Revit / Archicad / Allplan / AECOsim
- Workshop I
BIM-Manager Postgraduate Programme (40 ECTS credits)
- Project Coordination: Solibri / Navisworks / Green Building Studio / Ecotect
- BIM and Sustainability
- Interoperability and Processes
- BIM Content II
- Workshop II
- BIM and Professional Performance
- BIM and Teamwork
- Legal Implications of BIM
- The BIM Market
- Workshop III
In order to provide a more realistic view of the situation of companies and institutions, the members of the teaching staff boast professional as well as academic experience. Correspondingly, the master’s programme has a distinctly international perspective: some classes are taught in English, while the teaching staff hail from (and/or have experience in) a number of different countries, including China, Mexico, Germany and the United Kingdom.
Director and Coordinator
Dr. Cristobal Bernal and Dr. David Lladó
Cómo llegar al Campus Barcelona
September 2015 – July 2016
Spanish and English
School of Architecture – UIC Barcelona
Information and admissions
+34 93 254 18 00